Mother's Day is a holiday that celebrates the special bond between a child and their mother. It is praised for providing the opportunity to show appreciation and gratitude to the women who have taken up the vital role of nurturing new life into the world. However, it is important to course correct; the definition of motherhood is not limited to biological mothers anymore. Women have taken up non-traditional roles, and they too deserve to be appreciated on this day. This includes mothers of animals, grandmothers, stepmothers and foster mothers. As we celebrate Mother's Day, it is crucial to highlight the significance of acknowledging the contribution of women in these non-traditional roles and to provide avenues for appreciation and gratitude.
Celebrating Mothers of Children:
Mothers of children are celebrated in different ways in different parts of the world. In western cultures, Mother's Day is typically celebrated on the second Sunday of May. It is a day for children to pamper their mothers and show their affection through cards, flowers, and special gifts. While this is a great way to celebrate Mother's Day, it is essential to note that mothers of children need appreciation all year round. They shoulder the responsibility of raising their children and often have to balance multiple roles while doing so.
Here are some suggestions for celebrating mothers of children on Mother's Day:
1. Make homemade gifts: Instead of buying generic gifts, encourage children to make homemade gifts, such as handmade cards, paintings, or photo albums. These personal touches are a great way to show how special a mother is.
2. Create breakfast in bed: A mother's day classic that never gets old, prepare a special breakfast in bed for your mum to enjoy. This could include preparing her favorite dish or trying out something new.
3. Plan a virtual celebration: It may not be possible to meet in person, but you can organise a virtual celebration. You can facetimel or host a zoom meeting so that everyone can participate and create special memories.
Celebrating Mothers of Pets:
Pet mothers are often under-appreciated despite the vital role that they play in society. The deserve recognition on Mother's Day too. Their pets may be fury, but they too have a special place in their heart. Here are some ideas to celebrate mums of pets.
1. Look up pet friendly cafes/restaurants and spoil one another on your outing.
2. Go on a hike or somewhere you have not been before with your fury companion
3. Have fun dressing your pet up for the occasion.
Grandmothers play an important role in the upbringing of their grandchildren. They provide valuable life lessons, share their experiences and offer unconditional love.
Suggestions for celebrating grandmothers on Mother's Day:
1. Recreate memories: Grandmothers cherish memories of their grandchildren. Try to recreate some of these memories for her through a photobook or a scrapbook.
2. Prepare a special meal: Grandmothers love cooking and sharing their recipes with others. Prepare her favorite dish, or ask her to guide you while dish-making, and make her feel special.
3. Take her out: Grandmothers often stay at home, but taking her on an outing can be an exciting way to celebrate Mother's Day. Consider taking her to a park or a museum to create new memories.
Celebrating Step Mothers:
Being a stepmother comes with unique challenges as they have to build a bond with their new children and navigate their role within a family unit.
Suggestions for celebrating stepmothers on Mother's Day:
1. Acknowledge their role: It is crucial to recognise the stepmother's contribution as a parent. Consider giving them a card or a gift that acknowledges their role in your life.
2. Schedule an activity together: Spending quality time together can strengthen the bond between a stepmother and her children. Scheduling an activity that you both enjoy can be a great way to celebrate Mother's Day.
3. Pamper them: A thoughtful gift like a spa day or a massage can be a perfect way to show appreciation and make them feel special.
Celebrating Foster Mothers:
Foster mothers are those who embrace the role of motherhood to children who are not their biological offspring. Foster mothers deserve appreciation for their selfless deeds.
Suggestions for celebrating foster mothers on Mother's Day:
1. Send a heartfelt message: Sending a heartfelt message of appreciation can be a great way to let them know they are appreciated.
2. Consider donating: Consider donating to organizations that provide support to foster families. Every donation helps these families provide better care for their foster children.
3. Celebrate with their families: Consider celebrating Mother's Day with their families to honor their contribution to society.
Reminders for those without mothers:
Mother's Day can be a difficult day for individuals who have lost their mothers or do not have them present in their lives. Here are some suggestions for individuals who may find this day challenging:
1. Remember your mother's happiest moments: Remembering your mother's happiest moments can help you celebrate her memory.
2. Reach out to individuals experiencing similar situations: You are not alone, and there are individuals who may be feeling the same. Reach out to friends or support groups to find comfort.
3. Show respect: Show respect to the memories of your mothers by engaging in activities that she would have loved. Planting a tree or donating to a charitable cause in her memory can be a great way to show your respect.